Google removes Ads on Right Side of Desktop SERPDCI
It’s a big move from Google! Google ads have now been removed from right-hand side of desktop search results and this significant change will be rolled out globally across all languages over the next couple of weeks.
Changes that have appeared SERPs:
- Desktop Ads will be shown only at the top of organic results & at the bottom of the page.
- The number of ads will be increased to 4 (rather than 3) at the top of the page and a maximum of 3 ads at the bottom.
- Knowledge Panel & Product listing Ads (PLA) will be shown in right-hand side of SERP.
According to a spokesperson at Google, “This layout is able to provide more relevant results for people searching and better performance for advertisers.”
This significant change to the search engine results will impact both the users and advertisers. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of this change:
- Ads at the top show better performance for advertisers due to high CTR
- Advertisers can concentrate more on Product Listing Ads
- Desktop SERPs will now look similar to mobile/tablet SERPs, which ensures consistency.
- Organic results will likely be pushed below the fold, which can lead to loss of traffic
- For higher CPC, keyword bidding will keep getting higher.
- This change will necessitate spending more money on PPC / CPC
- SEO will become even harder for competitive search terms.
In conclusion, 2016 will be a very competitive year and advertisers will need to invest heavily into AdWords to maintain their traffic levels. Moreover, it is really important to focus on the best practices for management of AdWords campaigns such as keyword performance, campaign budgets, Quality Score, ad positions and impressions.